Before you decide to use any asthma remedies at home, you need to know more about this serious health condition. Did you know that asthma can cause death? Yes, and that’s very true; this is the reason why asthma requires immediate treatment to prevent the condition from getting worse. If you think you’re at risk of developing the disease, read on.
Asthma attacks occur when there is inflammation of the air passage or bronchial tubes. Asthma is considered as a chronic health condition but even if you have it, you can effectively manage and control it with the help of your doctor. Since the airways are affected, you will experience difficult in breathing. The attacks can be mild or severe but one thing’s for sure, the condition can be deadly when left untreated. In the US, over 20 million people are suffering from asthma.
Asthma is called by different names like reactive airway disease, asthmatic bronchitis, bronchial asthma, and wheezy bronchitis but they all mean one thing. Most of the attacks are triggered by inhaled substances such as animal dander, dust, feather, and pollen. Irritants can also trigger the attacks such as cigarette smoke, odors, gases, and dirt. If you had respiratory infections like bronchitis, sore throats, flu, and colds, you are also at risk.
Other factors like emotional stress (excitement and fear), carrying heavy objects, or running (strenuous physical activities), weather conditions (sudden change in temperature or weather) and certain medications (e.g. aspirin) can trigger the attacks as well. Proper management of the disease is required because asthma has no cure.
These are the symptoms that you should look out for – chest tightness, breath shortness, wheezing, and cough; if you have these symptoms, visit your doctor immediately. Once you’re exposed to the asthma triggers, the bronchial tubes become swollen and inflamed.
You can’t really tell when the attacks might happen so you need to identify the possible triggers. With the doctor’s help, you can stay away from the triggers. Individuals who are already diagnosed with asthma often exhibit the symptoms several times in a week especially they engaged in strenuous activities. Here’s good news – you can control the attacks by using medications prescribed by the doctor. These are the best remedies that you can use:
- Make a mixture out of ½ Tbsp cinnamon powder and 1 Tbsp honey. Take the mixture before sleeping.
- If your asthma is still in its early stage, boil ½ c of milk and 10 garlic cloves and drink before bedtime. This is great for asthma patients suffering from severe attacks.
- Figs help in draining your phlegm. Wash 3-4 figs and drench them in 1 c of water. You can eat the figs when your stomach is empty or you can also drink the soaked water.
- Soak 1 tsp of Fenugeek seeds in 1 c of water overnight; drink this solution at night, preferably before bedtime.
- Mince garlic cloves in a hot ginger tea. Give this to the asthma patient 2x a day.
- Boil ajwain and breathe-in the steam. Add honey and drink it 2x or 3x a day.
- Make a mixture of 1 gm ginger powder, 1 gm black pepper, and 1 tsp of honey molasses.
Use the remedies mentioned above for treating asthma attacks. The ingredients needed are mostly found in your kitchen so you won’t have any problem in preparing them.